As summer vacation comes to an end, the start of a new school year is just around the corner. So whether your student is in Kindergarten, high school, or even college, now is the time to prep for the year ahead. Stores rejoice as they advertise sales on new backpacks, clothing, school supplies, and textbooks.
Besides the practical things, like those listed above, it’s important to remember your student’s health. Most schools include a structured physical education program, as well as some kind of unstructured leisure time for younger children (typically in the form of recess). Both of these offer students the opportunity to stretch, let off steam, and get some fresh air.
But what about when it comes to chiropractic health? How can you ensure your student’s spinal health and safety? Listed below are some tips and preventative measures to try out this school year:
- Wear supportive shoes. Believe it or not, your shoes can actually have a significant impact on your spine and your posture. Our feet have natural pads and arches that need to be supported. If they are not, it can put a lot of unnecessary pressure on our spinal column and every step can cause damage.
- Properly adjust your backpack. Backpacks are like mobile lockers. Students use them to carry books, supplies, and even personal items like food and mobile devices. But your body is not meant to carry so much weight without support. Many backpacks come with buckles and chest straps to alleviate the stress on your back and shoulders. Perhaps even more importantly, encourage your student to plan ahead and carry less in their backpacks.
- Stretch as often as possible. Beyond physical education and perhaps recess, students are sitting in class most of the day. Encourage them to maximize the time between class and stretch to promote healthy blood flow.
- Watch your posture. While sitting in class, it’s easy to let your posture slip and contort your spine into unhealthy positions. If your student ever finds themselves hunched over their desk, encourage them to do a quick reset: bring their shoulders up, back, and down.
- Schedule regular chiropractic appointments. As important as it is to self-monitor your posture and habits, nothing can substitute for a chiropractic adjustment. Be sure to maintain a regular schedule to keep your spine healthy, strong, and properly aligned.
As you and your students head into the new school year, don’t neglect your spinal health. If you’re on the hunt for a regular chiropractor, we invite you to come try DiBella Chiropractic Center. Our offices are located in Gastonia, NC. Swing by our offices to schedule and appointment, or call us for more information. We look forward to seeing you!