Going to the chiropractor is wonderful for your overall health. By adjusting and re-aligning your spine, you are boosting your body’s natural defense mechanisms against aches, pains, and illness. A chiropractor is trained in the practice of spinal manipulation, so office adjustments are typically most effective.
But what about the time between appointments? Is there anything you can do to maintain your spinal health? There are, in fact, ways to keep yourself in shape from the comfort of your own home. Here is a list of exercises that you can try to maximize and lengthen the positive benefits of chiropractic care.
- The Cobra. This is one of the simplest poses physically, but it will give you a great stretch. Begin flat on your stomach, preferably on a yoga mat or other non-slip surface. Use your forearms to push your chest and head upwards. For maximum stretching, hold this pose at arm’s length with your hands flat on the ground.
- The Child’s Pose. The Cobra pose transitions nicely into the Child’s Pose. Ease yourself downward, and fold your legs under your body in a kneeling position. Hands still placed on the mat, stretch them forward as far as you can reach and bring your forehead to meet the ground in front of your knees. It’s recommended that you hold this pose for several minutes, allowing the tension in your spine to dissipate.
- Cat & Cow. Begin by kneeling on all fours, back parallel to the ground. Push your chest, stomach, and lower back forward and tilt your head backward to perform the cow stretch. Do the opposite to perform a cat stretch.
- Knees to chest. Begin by lying flat on your back. Bring both knees up toward your chest and hold them in place with your arms, stretching the lower back. Hold only one leg at a time to perform an additional stretch. With one knee raised, turn toward your other leg and lower your raised knee to the ground.
- Pelvic bridge. Like in the previous exercise, you will begin laying flat on your back. Raise your legs so that your feet are resting flat on the ground, and ensure your arms are resting on the ground parallel to your body. Use your arms to lift your lower back off the ground. Hold this pose for several seconds, lower, then repeat for several reps.
It’s true, chiropractic adjustments are beneficial to your health. But you can continue to improve your wellness at home with these simple exercises. Spend 10-15 minutes every day with these stretches, and you may find that your spine doesn’t need quite as much correction when it comes time for your next adjustment. If you’re looking for a chiropractor to call home, DiBella Chiropractic Center in Gastonia, NC would be happy to work alongside you. Contact us today and schedule an appointment today!