Common Summer Sports Injuries
Summer is almost here! Warmer weather means spending more time outdoors. More time outdoors means the start of summer sports and other activities. Baseball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, swimming, and golf are just a few of the many summer sports that will keep people active over the coming months. Whether you’re a professional athlete or a casual sports enthusiast, now is the time to get outside and have some fun.
But greater levels of activity typically translate to an increased chance of injury. If you don’t stretch properly before beginning, or you practice improper technique while playing, then you increase your chance of injury even more. Let’s take a look at some of the most common summer sports injuries and how chiropractic can help.
- Sprains. A sprain occurs when you stretch a ligament beyond its limits, sometimes to the point of tearing. This is common in sports with lots of quick movement and footwork. If you were to land crooked on your feet, then you may suffer an unnatural turn of your ankle, causing a sprain.
- Fractures. Bones are quite sturdy, but they can fracture and break if enough force is applied. This type of injury is not uncommon in contact sports or similar activities with high forces at play.
- Rotator Cuff. Your rotator cuff keeps your arm in your shoulder socket. It allows free movement and a wide range of motion, but even it can be stretched beyond its limits.
- Elbow. Excessive forceful use of the elbow joint (as in sports such as golf or tennis) can result in inflammation in the joints and tendons.
- Knee. Whether walking, running, or jumping, your knees bear the brunt of your movement. Your full weight, combined with the impact of repetitively hitting the ground, can cause long-term damage to the joint over time.
- Traumatic Impact. Those who engage in contact sports, both on land in the water, are particular susceptible to traumatic injuries on impact. This includes brain injuries (such as concussion or contusion) as well as dislocated joints.
DiBella Chiropractic Center is here to make sure you have a fun and safe summer. Chiropractic care can help keep your body in prime condition, allowing you to make the most of the warm weather and all the sports that come along with it. If you’ve suffered an injury, schedule an appointment with us here at DiBella Chiropractic Center. We take great pleasure in helping our patients recover from injuries such as sprains, strains, overexertion, and concussion. Contact us today to learn more!